So yeah yeah everyone loves Fall. It’s their Favorite season blah blah blah.
But who cares. There’s a reason everyone loves fall! It’s the best season ever! Pumpkin Spice Latte, fun warm snuggly clothes, football!
And yes it’s also my favorite season. I took an unofficial survey with work people, family people and friend people and all but one said Fall/Autumn. The only person who didn’t was my dear friend Natisha who said and I quote
“I’m watching the first movie now but I like season six. I love Smith and Samantha together! But season one is good too!”
Which I totally agree with but maybe I should have been more specific!
So it’s official – Fall is the best season of them all!
Here are things most New Mexican’s look forward to in the Fall.
- The roasting of green chile – This is by far the best smell of all time. If “they” could put that smell in a candle or spray or something “they” would be rich (I don’t know who they is) – This weekend I went by a local grocery store and the line to get your green chile roasted was 15 deep and the wait was over three hours, and no one cared! If you’re not from New Mexico or have never lived here or been here during this time – you have no idea what I am talking about and you are missing out. Yummmmmm mouthwatering….
- The Balloon Fiesta – This something New Mexico is known for that has nothing to do with food and is not negative. The Balloon Fiesta is an international affair, people come from all over the world to see hundreds of balloons ascend the skies and light up the night! It’s beautiful and something all New Mexican’s have a huge sense of pride in. I helped a co-worker study for her ballooning piloting licenses (don’t know how much help I was) but that test is no joke. She has an awesome balloon and personal blog – check it out here.
- The Whole Enchilada Fiesta – This is a Southern New Mexico tradition that I was privileged enough to be part of when I lived in Las Cruces. The Whole Enchilada Fiesta is the celebration of the making of the biggest enchilada in the world. I kid you not this is in The Guinness Book of World Records. The person who makes the enchilada is my dear friend Roberto of Roberto’s restaurant. It’s a fun event and something most southern New Mexican’s look forward to.
- The opening of McCall’s Pumpkin Patch – Picking out a pumpkin, going to a haunted pumpkin patch, going through a corn maze by day and “haunted” corn maze by night – what more could you ask for. Oh yes – you are support local business!
- The Lobo Aggie game – With Fall weather brings fun fall sports. And New Mexico only has two Division One schools so the rivalry is fun! And they are both not good enough to be annoyingly serious. But – Go Aggies!!!
- The change in weather – A big reason Fall is a favorite, for New Mexicans and a lot of other people all over the world is the cooler temps. In New Mexico it’s hot. We live in the desert so when Fall season is upon us, the break from 100+ degree temps is a much needed relief!
- The smell – For me, this might be weird, but I associate a smell with Halloween and Fall. The smell of wood stoves. I LOVE that smell! It reminds me of my childhood and Halloween which is my most favorite holiday EVER! Please tell me other people know what smell I am talking about. Wood stove fires in the evening? Anyone?
Those are some of the things we NMers look forward to. Also on the list is the State Fair – AQ has an awesome state fair with awesome food – yummm Indian Tacos, Fry Bread and Sparx’s singing in the background!
What do you look forward to in the Fall?
Roasting Green Chile
Balloon Fiesta – special shapes
The whole enchilada fiesta – haha look at the person in red!
Roberto and me
Fall in Jemez – this is right by my house! So pretty!
Natisha, me and the husband at a NMSU game! Way more fun once we graduated from college!