I have always loved drinking out of mason jars. And recently I have been obsessed with the Dollar Tree. Yes the Dollar Tree – not to be confused with those other fake dollar stores where things cost more than a dollar! That’s stupid!!
So I was spending another lunch browsing the shelf’s at the local Dollar Tree when I saw all these Mason jars. And awwwwwwww (sing that) it was like a light came on and my idea juices were flowing!
I bought as many jars as I could fit in my cart!
The next day I was at Pier One getting paper lanterns for our patio and I was reminded of a glass I saw there once. I also saw this trick on that show Trading Spaces . . . anyone remember that show? Once the 86ed Pagie Davis the show went downhill! She was a peach!
Anyway, I saw these jars a long time ago that had chalk board squares on them so people could write their names. And because of Trading Spaces I know they sell spray paint chalk board at most home improvement stores (and Wal-Mart) –
So I made everyone (and had some left over) jars for the baby shower.
I was also thinking of making these for Christmas and filling them with coco or something delicious and writing on them!
Chalk Board Mason Jars
- Wash/disinfect the jars in the dishwasher.
- Cut out a square stencil so all the squares are the same size.
- Tape around (not on) the stencil with blue painters tape.
- Tape the crap out of the jar. Tape the WHOLE jar because you are spray painting and it will get other places.
- Lay the jars outside on a plastic bag, tarp or cardboard cutout.
- Spray the paint – back and forth – it’s an art!
- Apply one coat and let it dry completely before you apply the next coat.
- I applied four coats and it worked great
- After the last coat, let the jar dry 24 hours before you use the chalk.
- Rub the chalk back and length wise all over the chalk board surface and rub it off
- Then the chalk board is ready to use!
Hope your do-it-yourself projects turn out well!